domingo, 14 de junho de 2009

A couple with lemonades*

* Do arquivo. 



-
Lady, may I warn you this is not quite a well-balanced ship? 
- Of course you can, my darling. You always do. I never get it, though. What does it mean?
- It means this ship may go over some turbulence. It is, after all, the ship of love. You should be prepared.
- Of love? What a queer thing! It gives me the creeps.
- Yes, ma'am. A queer thing, indeed.
- How come you let it come to this point, anyway? Didn't you see this all coming? Now, be honest, young man!
- Yes, sort of. But, as a matter of fact, there wasn't much that I could do about it.
- Oh, please. A gentleman always can pull some kind of arrangement to prevent a thing such as love from happening, cannot he?
- One would hardly deny that.
- Especially if he is the one to be in love!
- Once again, you are correct.
- I frankly thought you all would be kind enough to take care of whole deal, nowadays.
- I tried actually. But you have been rather a charming young lady, you know? It could not possibly be done by means of mere strength of will.
- I understand.
- It probably would take a couple of months in Fiji to forget all about it. An adventure with a yokel might just come in hand.
- Have you tried the business of boozing and gambling? They make men often forget their duties.
- I have.
- And the one of sporting like a daredevil?
- I have parachuted on mined grounds on a weekly basis all December, for that matter.
- Maybe you should have tried politics. I trust it makes one looses all of one's senses.
- With all due respect, ma'am, I believe loosing my senses was the problem to begin with.
- Perhaps. Let us just pretend you are right.
- Fine by me.
- So, shall we just get something absolutely clear: you are in love with me?
- Inevitably so, I fear.
- My Gosh! Do you think this is an awfully terrible thing?
- I find it natural. But one should always be cautious with nature.
- Well, I cannot say that I vehemently object your love, boy. Not at principle.
- How nice of you to say.
- But if a fellow is to be in love with me, he should at least have the decency of not making a regular obviousness out of it.
- I grant you that.
- And what is this turbulence of the ship of love balderdash, anyway? It seems disrespectful.
- Not at all disrespectful, miss, although it might be mildly unbecoming. You see, I sometimes express myself peculiarly.
- Are you talking about poetry, chap? I can stand poetry!
- That is fair enough. But can you stand prose? Can you even bear unfashionably dialogued prose?
- I might. Just for kicks. After all, I have apparently succeeded in surviving quite prosaic people all my life!
- Very well, then. You have got yourself a lover.
- Good heavens, I feel like a lemonade. Would you care to join me?
- But of course. 

Nenhum comentário:

 
Free counter and web stats