sábado, 4 de abril de 2009

Zelig - Woody Allen

Reading The Great Gatsby made me want to watch Zelig once more. Those images in black & white that keep coming to one’s head when one reads about people being told at dinner that there’s a long distance call from Philadelphia that needs to be taken now, they give me some sort of happy nostalgia. And so does this movie. I had tried renting it last week, but someone from the store told me the DVD was somehow out of order. I remember thinking why the hell they wouldn’t just throw away the DVD and simply remove it from the archives clients browse online. This unpleasant surprise was what happened to me: I picked the movie from the website only to receive a couple of minutes later a telephone call by which I learned the DVD was out order. I’m not even going to ask why it was available online if it was actually out of order. I’m just going to ask how exactly they expected it to be “in order” again in the future. Was there a guy working on it? I never heard of someone being able to fix a DVD. I never heard of a DVD that needed fixing in the first place.

What I did, I downloaded the movie. 

And there he was, right on the first scene, F. Scott Fitzgerald himself, sitting at a little chair next to a little table, alone in the middle of a garden – taking notes of what he was seeing in that party. Waal, what a few decades can do to one's literary methods. If somebody asked him to give some literary perspective on our present generation, instead of that of the 20’s, he probably wouldn’t even have to sit down. He certainly would turn down the little notebook he had in his hands. For a mere smartphone would have done the job. Standing in the middle of crowd, he would be able to portrait whatever he thought deserved to be portrayed all via Twitter. 

Nenhum comentário:

 
Free counter and web stats